Types of waters
It offers bicarbonate-rich, sulphur-rich and sodium-rich waters with weak mineralization, which emerge at a temperature of 42 °C. Recognised by the Tribunal of Waters of Paris as some of the best in Europe at the end of the 19th century, and declared as a public utility service in 1928.
- Musculoskeletal system problems such as rheumatic illnesses (arthrosis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, fibromyalgia, etc.)
- Respiratory problems (rhinitis, sinusitis, pharyngitis, COPD, asthma, etc.)
- Skin problems (psoriasis, dermatitis, etc.)
- Digestive apparatus
- Nervous and circulatory system
- Psychiatric disorders
- Also have anti-ageing qualities, and are used for relaxation and anti-stress treatments, gynaecological processes, surgical, hepatic and enterohepatic problems, metabolic disorders, urinary tracts, and dental problems
- Still bath
- Hot tub
- Thermal pool
- Foot baths
- Water jets
- Circular shower
- Inhalation room
- Paraffin mud treatments
- Body wraps (chocolate, seaweed, and mud)
- Facial treatments
It has modern facilities, all of which are connected to each other and to the thermal area without the need to go outside. It has 54 double rooms (2 adapted for the disabled) and 6 single rooms. They are equipped with bathroom, heating, plasma television and direct outgoing telephone calls. It also offers:
- reception service (24 hours)
- central safe
- thermal cosmetics and souvenir shop
- cafeteria and restaurant with local cuisine
- spacious rooms that can be enjoyed as a meeting place, reading area or board games area
In 1716, excavations were carried out, during which the spring and a basin of the ancient Roman thermal baths appeared. At the end of the century, a number of small buildings were built for the medical use of the waters. In 1928 they were declared a public utility, with a guesthouse and chapel. In 1986, the hotel-spa was built over the old bath house, a five-storey building with a semi-basement, where the thermal area is located. In 2005 the thermal spa was renovated with modern facilities combining marble, steel and glass.
Enjoy the Surroundings
Carballo is located in the capital of Bergantiños, 30 km from the city of A Coruña and 45 km from Santiago de Compostela. It has a privileged situation, marked by the proximity of excellent beaches, by a landscape of enormous beauty and by a rich artistic heritage.
The territory has been inhabited since very remote times, as demonstrated by the Palaeolithic tools discovered. Among the remains of the megalithic culture, the Pedra Moura dolmen stands out, as well as a large number of hill forts. The Romans also left their footprints here; the hill fort of Torres Pardiñas or the remains of the Thermal Villa bear witness to their presence.
The Natural Area of Razo-Baldaio is the most important area of scenic and ecological interest in the whole municipality. It covers some 1,000 hectares of protected area, full of dunes, marshes, cliffs and coastal meadows. On its beautiful and extensive beaches it is possible to practice surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving or paragliding. The marshes are an extraordinary natural observatory for bird lovers to enjoy.
The Férveda de Entrecruces represents one of the most beautiful natural spectacles of the whole region. It is a waterfall of more than fifty meters high located in the river Outón, surrounded by dense vegetation and forests.
The area has always stood out for the quality of its cereals, which made "Carballo bread" famous. In addition to wheat, corn, mixed or rye bread, this long baking tradition resulted in other delicacies such as stuffed pies, egg bread rolls or sponge cakes.
Carballo is the antechamber of the Costa da Morte (Death Coast), so visitors will find it a perfect point from where to embark on excursions to such wonderful places as Malpica (15 minutes away) and discover the Punta Nariga Lighthouse or the famous Buño pottery. The fishing villages of Laxe and Corme (Ponteceso) are only half an hour away.