The health-giving properties of Galician springs have been known since before the times of the Roman conquest. Today, Galicia is the leading Spanish region in terms of its offer of thermal spas. With more than 3,000 hotel beds, its 21 thermal spas represent around 20% of the national total. As a whole they welcome around 150,000 guests each year, mainly from the regions of Asturias, Castile-León, Madrid, and Catalonia, as well as from Galicia itself.
An increasing number of couples and families visit our thermal spas, seeking the prevention and treatment of chronic conditions and well-being.
The most significant new challenges facing the thermal water sector in Galicia include:
- Protecting mineral water aquifers by defending their protective perimeters.
- Fighting against unfair competition.
- Including the therapeutic treatments offered in thermal spas on the list of Healthcare services.
- Promoting thermal spa culture.
- Making use of new technologies in promotional initiatives.
The creation of the Innovative Thermal Water Business Group of Galicia and the Mineral and Thermal Water Cluster of Galicia will help with the setting up of cooperative and innovative projects. The aim is to promote thermal waters and thermal spas as a strategic sector that contributes towards boosting socio-economic conditions in the region.